For all bedrooms, big and small, extra storage space is something we all value. There is a wide range of space saving storage beds that are not only practical but pleasing to look at, too.
Storage beds help to maximise space in your bedroom. Storage bed offer easy access that’s discreet so you can tidy away any clutter in a flash. This guide will introduce different types of storage beds and what you should consider when purchasing.
Best Storage Beds For Sale in the UK
Storage Beds Buying Guide
I. Types of Storage Beds
Storage beds are beds that include hidden compartments for additional storage in your bedroom. These beds are perfect for storing extra bedding, pillows and seasonal items! There are three main types of storage beds:
- Divan beds
- Ottoman bed frames
- Bed frames with drawers
The key difference between these beds is the type of storage available. There are many different types of storage options: read on to discover the perfect storage bed for you.
(1) What is a divan bed?
A divan bed consists of a:
- Divan base
Because the divan base is the same dimensions as the mattress, this allows you to further maximise the space available in your bedroom.
Divan beds include a wide range of storage options to suit all of your needs. You can choose between drawers or ottoman storage with a divan bed, or a combination of the two!
(2) What is an ottoman bed frame?
Ottoman bed frames are stylishly designed bed frames, complete with hidden storage. Suitable for small and large bedrooms, ottoman bed frames are the ideal storage solution:
- The entire bed offers storage space
- Gas-lift hydraulics make it easy to open
- No additional space is needed beside the bed
Since ottoman beds are powered by gas-lift hydraulics, the bed stays open while accessing storage items – until you’re ready to close it. Opening up from the foot end or side, you can find the one that’s best suited to your bedroom.
(3) What is a bed frame with drawers?
Bed frames with drawers are ideal if you want a trendy bed frame without giving up on storage. From fabric beds to wooden bunk beds, there is a bed frame with drawers for everyone.
II. Benefits of a Storage Bed
Storage Bed Advantages At a Glance
- Small Space storage is at a premium so a storage beds are a great space saving solution
- A Storage Bed minimises the amount of storage needed from cupboards and wardrobes
- Children’s storage beds are great for keeping rooms tidy and displaying favourite toys and books
- Ottoman storage allows practical utilisation of the vast storage area under your bed
- Guest Bed storage offers the opportunity for extra sleeping space without compromising on space in your room
As the name suggests, storage beds are built with compartments for you to keep items within the bed. Having a bed frame with storage frees up so much space in wardrobes, cupboards and shelves elsewhere in your bedroom.
Because storage beds have easy‐to‐use systems in place for you to either lift the mattress or use the drawers at the side, you can store absolutely anything you wish within them. Items like spare bedding, towels, shoes or seasonal clothing will sit comfortably underneath the mattress until you’re ready to use them. This means your room can stay looking neat and free from excess items and can also make more space in your wardrobes or airing cupboard.
Small bedrooms can benefit massively from having a storage bed. When space is already at a premium, any extra room that can be utilised is vital. Storage beds use the space that would have otherwise gone neglected between your mattress and the floor.
[asa_collection tpl=”my_template” items=10 type=”random”]Storage_Beds[/asa_collection]
III. Storage Bed Sizes
Every bedroom – especially small bedrooms – need as much storage as they can get. Luckily, there are many sizes from a single bed with storage to a super king size bed with storage.
- Single Beds with Storage: These beds are perfect for smaller bedrooms and guest rooms. Our single storage beds have drawers along one side or lift up to expose the storage space beneath the bed base.
- Double Beds with Storage: Double storage beds offer extra storage space than the single options and usually contain drawers on both sides of the bed base, or you can choose an ottoman storage bed with storage beneath the bed base, accessible by life-up functionality.
- King Size beds with storage: King size storage beds are perfect for those who want the extra space to stretch out in bed, whilst also enjoying an abundance of storage space beneath.
- Super King Size beds with storage: The largest of our bed sizes, a super king storage bed is perfect for larger bedrooms and whether you choose a divan or ottoman bed option, you will find a range of storage options to suit.
The most important thing to remember when choosing your bed size is to ensure you have enough room around the sides and foot of the bed to walk comfortably. The great thing is that although they hold a lot, they are not bulky. So, a double bed with storage will look the same as any standard bed, just with a hidden surprise.
➧ Read more: Mattress Sizes & Bed Dimensions Guide
IV. Choosing the right storage bed for you.
There are a wide range of different styles of storage bed available and it is worth taking the time to reflect upon what will best suit your requirements.
1. Divan style storage beds
This is the traditional style bed base which can have a combination of different drawer options. The most popular option is four standard drawers although you can also have two drawers and end drawers. An other option is a four drawer continental which means that you get 2 standard drawers and 2 smaller drawers at the head end of the bed which can be useful in situations where you have the restriction of bedside cabinets. Divan bed frames can offer a cost effective and flexible storage solution.
2. Divan style ottoman bed frames
If your looking for more storage another option would be a divan ottoman base. The advantage of this style of base is that you considerably more storage space. Another key advantage is that as the mattress sits on top of the base and there is no upholstered frame surrounding the mattress it occupies a smaller foot print in your bedroom, this can be an important consideration in smaller bedrooms. These types of base can be either front or side opening as demonstrated in the examples below. Another important consideration when evaluating which option to go for is how you use your bedroom and where you are able to access the storage from. Side opening ottomans can be useful if you have restricted access on one side of the bed. The design of an ottoman style headboard can be given either a traditional or contemporary look depending on the style of headboard you opt for.
3. Upholstered Ottoman Bed frames – Ottoman beds can be side or foot opening. Think about your room and where you are best accessing the ottoman so you can pick the option which best suits you. Think about depth of the storage on your ottoman, will your chosen ottoman store the items you are hoping to add.
On this style of base the slatted base site within the frame of the bed which creates an attractive visual look. The disadvantage of this style of bed is that the frame increases the foot print of the bed within the bedroom. If space is at a premium you may wish to consider a platform style base where the mattress sits on top of a solid boarded base.
4. Upholstered and wooden Bedframes with Drawer Storage
As an alternative to the traditional divan style bed, bedframes can come with side opening and opening drawers or even free standing drawers. The key point is to take time to measure up and consider how you are going to access the storage to make sure you opt for the correct solution for your room.
Before you buy a storage bed, we suggest looking at the following points to help you make the right decision:
- How much are you needing to store? Is it big and bulky items or smaller, foldable things? Ottomans are great for storing bulky high tog duvets, while divans are better suited to keeping folded sheets tidied away.
- Double-check your room of choice has enough space for the storage bed to open fully.
- Think about what other design features you’d like such as headboards and foot ends. Some ottomans do not have an option to have a foot end.
You may also like: