There are many different types of transportation options for your baby. Prams are suitable for younger babies who must lie flat and need plenty of padding around them. Pushchairs feature reclining seats that are optimal for older babies and toddlers. Some convert into prams for newborns. For older children, lightweight and collapsible strollers are ideal, as they take up less storage space than a traditional buggy.
What's the difference? - Pram, Pushchair, Buggy, Stroller, Travel system
- Prams are designed for newborns so they can lie flat.
- Pushchairs are for babies who can sit up and strollers are for toddlers or older children.
- Buggies are generally a type of pushchair or stroller and has now become a term we use, rather than being another product.
- Travel system is a type of pushchair that is compatible with a rear-facing car seat and usually a carrycot. The car seat and carrycot can both click in and out of the pushchair, which is handy when you have a sleeping baby who you don’t want to wake.
Prams allow your baby to lie flat, which is essential until your baby can sit up comfortably – this will usually occur when they’re 3-6 months old, but this can vary.
Traditional prams are quite unique these days; you’re more likely to find a model that doubles as a pushchair, meaning you won’t need to buy a separate one during your baby’s development.
(1) Who needs a pram?
- Have a newborn baby
- Like a traditional look
- Have plenty of space
(2) Benefits of pram:
- They allow your baby to lie flat, supporting their body and head
- They’re parent-facing, so you can maintain eye contact with your baby
- They’re wide and deep, designed in a classic style
You can use a pushchair with newborns if you select a model with a reclining feature or one compatible with a carrycot. This will allow your baby to lie flat until they can sit up.
There are several options such as twin and triple pushchairs, where the seats sit side by side. Whereas tandem pushchairs seat one seat in front of the other. Multiple seats are ideal for twins, triplets or children around a similar age.
(1) when to buy a pushchair?
- Have a baby under the age of 2 years
- Want a pushchair that can be folded
- Need something that’s easy to manoeuvre
(2) The bebefits of puschairs:
- They’re suitable for newborn babies if they have a fully reclinable seat
- Some models can be folded with one hand, while others feature a carry handle or fold strap
- They have various wheel types (fixed, swivel or lockable) for different terrains
- They can be set as parent-facing or world-facing
Traditionally designed for toddlers or older children, however there are certain models that offer additional support for younger children.
They tend to be lightweight and easily foldable, meaning they’re great for transporting, travelling and for families on the go.
(1) When should I buy a stroller?
- Have a child older than 6 months
- Want something that’s versatile and simple to use
- Need a pushchair that will fit in with your busy lifestyle
- Travel often as a family
(2) The bebefits of strollers:
- They’re easy to lift and carry
- They’re ideal for shopping, travelling and holidays
- They’re lightweight, compact and can be taken as hand luggage on most aircraft
4. Baby Travel systems
Essentially, a pushchair with a detachable car seat, which should easily slot or click in. Some come with carrycots too, which can be used for newborns that need to lie flat.
The car seat can vary in type, but most travel systems are compatible with more than one model.
(1) When to buy travel system?
- Need something flexible, adaptable and versatile
- Want a pushchair that covers travelling
- Want a pushchair that can be enhanced with a variety of accessories
(2) The benefits of travel systems
- They are compatible with carrycots and car seats for convenience
- Some models come with carrycots included
- They usually feature shopping baskets
- There are handy add-ons, including adaptors, rain covers and seat inserts
5. Twins/ Double & Tandem
If you have two children close in age, a double stroller is an excellent option. For mums and dads with triplets child, a buggy with multiple seats may be necessary. They often feature front suspensions that provide a smooth ride, multiple shopping baskets and multiple sun and rain covers. Even with two or more seats, these baby prams should be lightweight and foldable.
(1) Why to buy twin twins?
- Have twins, or small children close in age and weight
- Need a pushchair that’s multi-functional
(2) The benefits of twin and tandem models
- They have one seat in front of the other or two seats side by side, offering a practical solution to transporting your baby and toddler together
- They’re suitable for babies from birth onwards
- They have features such as: independent, multi-position reclining seats and foot rests, a bumper bar for older babies, removable washable covers, padded liners and a shopping basket
6. What is the difference between prams and strollers?
(1) Difference between Stroller and Pram
Pram and stroller are used interchangeably; however, their main difference is that prams are used to carry new born babies until they are able to sit up while strollers are used to carry toddlers or infants who are already able to sit up. Another significant difference between the two is prams are bulky and heavy which is not a good choice for child transport when going to the malls or when carrying them in the car while strollers are lightweight and most models of strollers are collapsible. Additionally, prams’ carriages are high while the strollers’ seats ride low to the ground.
There are baby carriages that are hybrid of prams and strollers which are practical to buy as you will not have to change the carriage quickly as your child gets older. However, in choosing the best carriage, you should consider your child’s comfort.
(2) Pram vs Stroller
- Prams, short for perambulator, have carriage with flat bottom which allow you to transport your new born babies in lying position
- Strollers have seats with harness, safety belt and crotch strap which allow you sit in your toddlers securely
- Prams are not convenient to bring around because they are bulky and heavy, unlike strollers that are lightweight
7. What's the difference between prams and pushchairs?
You might see rows and rows of prams, pushchairs or strollers – and quickly realise you have no idea which one you’re supposed to go for!
But don’t worry. We’ve worked it out for you already by investigating the difference between a pram and pushchair. You and your new baby will be ready for an adventure in no time.
(1) Pram or Pushchair?
A pram is just for newborn babies.
Prams are generally designed for newborns and aren’t suitable for older children. They’re not always as flexible as other travel systems which adapt your baby’s age and growth.
They’re built for your baby to lie completely flat.
It’s important for newborns to lie flat to help their growth and development. Young babies who can’t sit alone or support themselves will end up slouching slightly if they’re propped up. This can be harmful for your baby and have an effect on their breathing. So, for healthy lung development, lying flat in a pram is essential.
Prams are very sturdy.
Usually, a pram is a heavy and sturdy structure. Some weigh up to a whopping 16kg – and that’s before your baby’s in! You might need a stronger pram if you live in a rural area and take walks on country paths. However, be careful of choosing a pram that’s too heavy for you to handle.
Takes up a lot of space.
A pram is normally quite large. They’ll take up a lot of space in your hallway (or wherever it’s kept when not in use). Plus, if you use public transport like buses or trains, you might find it difficult to fit a pram on board.
They can’t be folded up.
Because they’re designed to stay flat, a pram typically won’t fold away. They can’t be easily dismantled, which is something you might need to bear in mind if you’re short on space.
Your baby faces you
Taking your baby out for the first time can be nerve-wracking. Your newborn will need lots of love and affection as they get used to their new surroundings. With a pram, your little one normally faces you, which lets you see your baby. It’s perfect for pulling faces, smiling and chatting to your newborn as they familiarise themselves with the big, wide world.
A pushchair can be for newborns and older babies.
The main difference between a pram and a pushchair is their suitability for different ages. Many pushchairs are adaptable and can accommodate both newborns and older infants.
They can change position.
If a pushchair or stroller is suitable for young and older infants, they need a fully reclining seat so a newborn can lie flat. However, you can also find pushchairs with adjustable settings, so your baby can sit up slightly. This could help with reflux, too.
Pushchairs can usually be folded up.
A pushchair is different from a pram, as they can often be collapsed and folded up. This might be useful if you’re short on space or need to take a long journey on public transport and want to put your pushchair away.
They have extra parent-friendly features.
A stroller generally has more parent-friendly features than a pram, like a shopping basket. A good-sized basket is very handy for when your baby’s a little older and you like to take them round the supermarket!
Baby can face either way.
A pushchair can be more versatile than a pram, because you can find both forward and rear-facing designs. Though, with a parent-facing pushchair, you might find it easier to interact with your baby.
Often comes as a travel system with more baby gear included.
A pushchair can be more than just a way to travel! You can find strollers which transform into a carrycot or car seat, which could save you money on your baby budget.
So, now we know the difference between a pram and pushchair. Though, you don’t need to compromise – you can have it all with the 3-in-1 Travel System. It’s a pushchair, car seat and bassinet, all in one! Suitable for newborns and older babies, this stroller has three positions for your baby to lie flat, recline or sit up, depending on your little one’s age and preference.
(2) What is a 3 in 1 travel system?
A 3-in-1 travel system is a versatile option, ideal for parents who are looking for a one-size-fits-all solution. In general, pushchair sets include the pushchair frame, a bassinet, toddler seat, plus a baby car seat. They are suitable for use from the moment a baby is born until they reach toddler age. If you choose a complete travel system, you won’t need to wonder if you have everything you need, whether for traveling closer to home or further away. You also won’t need to worry about buying the pushchair and car seat separately, if the different parts are compatible, or if you need to buy adapters…
In fewer words, choosing the right 3-in-1 baby pushchair saves you time and money, since you won’t have the hassle of having to buy different products separately.
8. Cheap Prams & Pushchairs Deals
(1) Kinderkraft Pilot Stroller With Free Delivery
- Innovative folding system with a shoulder strap for easy carrying
- Rubber wheels with bearings and shock-absorbing function
- Single-handed folding system ensures folding in seconds
- Adjustable padded strap for carrying the pushchair
- Free-standing position after folding
- Modern detachable guardrail, automatically folded with the frame
- Adjustable footrest
- Smooth backrest adjustment from sitting to lying down position
- Central brake
- Sunshade with a window
- Safety strap on the trolley handle to prevent losing control of the pushchair
- Five-point safety belts
- Double protection against the accidental folding/unfolding of the pushchair
- Includes modern guardrail, basket under the seat, foot cover, rain cover and cup holder
- Stable and lightweight aluminium frame – only 5.9kg
- Pushchair suitable for children from birth – up to 15kg
- Frame material: aluminium with steel elements
- Fabric: 100% polyester
- Wheels material: PU
- Dimensions: 80.5cm (L) x 42cm (W) x 103cm (H)
- Folded to small dimensions: 59cm x 43cm x 25cm
Featuring an innovative folding system with a shoulder strap for easy carrying, this stroller includes a practical basket under the seat
(2) Kinderkraft Juli Three-in-One Multi-Functional Stroller Travel System With Free Delivery
- Pram converted into a stroller
- Child safety seat included
- Innovative, very easy and quick folding system, without the use of force
- Durable and stable design
- Large, capacious basket
- Special easily-cleaned material in the footrest area
- Handle and protective bar finishing made of comfortable and durable EVA foam
- Removable protective bar
- Double protection against accidental folding/unfolding
- Central brake on the rear axle of the stroller
- Large, deep pram for the smallest children
- Additional foot cover protecting the child from wind, rain and cold
- Canopy with a transparent window opened and closed using a magnet
- Two possible stroller positions: rear-facing or front-facing
- 5-point safety belts with soft pads and height adjustment
- Canopy with a transparent window opened and closed using a magnet
- Three stroller seat positions: sitting, reclining and lying down
- Smooth stroller backrest adjustment
- Footrest (most vulnerable to soiling) made of special easy-to-clean material
Child Safety Seat
- For children weighing up to 13kg
- 3-point easily adjustable safety belts with soft pads
- Cushion for the youngest children
- Sunshield, retracted to the back of the seat
- 3-position adjustable handle
- Mounted with a three-point seat belt of the car
- Multifunctional − baby carrier, bouncer and child safety seat
- Comfortable seat guides, the seat can be quickly and easily installed in the car
- Folding system ensuring small size after folding
- Aluminium frame providing a lightweight, but solid structure
- Effortless and simple folding and unfolding of the stroller
- Brake at the centre of the rear axle for easy and quick access
- Wheels made of puncture-resistant EVA foam, perfect for any terrain
- Wheels can be blocked in the straight-ahead position in difficult terrain
- Large, capacious shopping basket
- Rain cover
- Foot cover
- Adapters for child safety seats
- Large, capacious shopping basket
- Cup holder
- Model: Juli
- Frame: steel
- Materials: polyester, EVA foam, polyethylene (HDPE)
- Dimensions when unfolded: 73cm (L) x 57cm (W) x 99cm (H)
- Weight: 10 kg
- Seat dimensions: 65cm (L) x 45cm (W) x 45.5cm (H)
- Weight: 3.3kg
- Dimensions and weight of the box: 79.5cm x 49.5cm x 48.5cm/15.3 kg
This three-in-one stroller system is easy to clean, features a durable and stable design, large and capacious basket
(3) Kinderkraft Foldable Stroller With Free Delivery
- Adjustable backrest
- Lightweight and compact design
- Ease of folding
- Easily manoeuvrable wheels and a bar style handle
- Easy to use central brake 5-point safety harness
- Soft shoulder pads for comfort
- Transparent window
- Suitable from 6 months to 15kg
- Quick wheel lock
- Dimensions when assembled: 84cm x 47cm x 100cm
- Dimensions when folded: 28cm x 45cm x 90cm
- Weight: 6.08kg
- Cup holder
- Two-sided liner
Featuring a lightweight and compact design for easy storage and transportation, this stroller is ideal for walks in the park
(4) Kinderkraft Indy Lightweight Folding Stroller With Free Delivery
- Lightweight (only 6 kg), manoeuvrable stroller
- Suitable from birth to 15kg
- Quick folding and unfolding with one hand
- Automatic lock system
- Small dimensions after folding: 46cm x 27cm x 60cm
- Double lock to prevent accidental folding/unfolding of the stroller
- Central brake
- Five-point seat belts with two fastening heights
- Adjustable backrest
- Removable rail
- Practical headrest
- Waterproof material
- Manoeuvrable wheels with shock absorbers
- Lightweight aluminium construction
- Capacious basket
- Window enabling constant contact with the child
- When folded, the stroller is kept in a standing position and the film protects the material from dirt
- Easy to transport
- Useful accessories: half rain-cover and leg sleeping bag
Lightweight stroller with quick folding and unfolding system, easily operated with one hand, features aluminium frame and spacious basket
(5) Kinderkraft Lightweight Mini-Dot Pocket Baby Stroller With Free Delivery
- Compact size once folded down
- Lightweight yet robust aluminium structure
- Reclined position with stepless backrest adjustment
- Suitable for babies from day one, up to 15kg
- Two-in-one handle: a barrier and a carrying handle in one
- Shock-absorbent 360° front casters with straight-ahead locks
- Cable-operated brake
- Triple unfolding lock to prevent inadvertent collapsing and folding down
- Five-point safety belt
- Spacious cargo basket holding up to 3kg
- Clean zone
- Simple folding action
- Adjustable canopy with viewing port for uninterrupted visual contact between the baby and its parent or guardian
- Non-slip footrest for older babies
- Handy rain shelter
- Easy to clean upholstery fabric that is soft to the touch
- Removable and washable shoulder straps
- Lightweight shock-absorbent and damage-resistant EVA foam wheels
- Polyester fabric with waterproof PVC coating
- Frame made of durable aluminium alloy
- Stroller weight: 5.6kg
- Dimensions when folded down: 54cm x 25cm x 23cm
Discover and experience the world anew with a newborn baby thanks to this stroller which makes an ideal companion for any travel